Saturday, July 25, 2009

recycle, reuse, reduce

Last week I was browsing the Internet via Google images and found some cute hand made paper beads. I studied the instructions carefully and decided I could make some too. So today instead of sitting at the sewing machine like I had planned to, I started making paper beads. I am happy with how my first attempt turned out. I usually save all envelopes that come in via the mail box to use as scrap paper for shopping lists etc, but I decided to make some paper beads out of them. The inside of the security envelopes are perfect with their patterns and colours. I also used news paper, and tried out some saved used wrapping paper. The wrapping paper was not so successful as it is shiny and tends to slip and slide while you are wrapping it around the wood meat skewer. I also gave a couple of them a coat of craft paint just to see if that will be worth doing too. Once they are completely dry, the next step will be to spray them with a sealer or varnish. It was fun doing something different for a change. It just so happens that on Better Homes and Gardens last night, they had a segment on making paper beads too, so I whipped out this morning and bought the mag so I could have it on hand. I hope you are all having a good weekend so far, cheers and blessings, Julie





No comments: